Buckland-Shelburne Elementary School (BSE) is the largest elementary school within the Mohawk Trail Regional School District and serves approximately 220 students from pre-Kindergarten through sixth grade.
At BSE, we set high expectations for all students, not only as learners but also as thinkers, problem solvers, and citizens. We acknowledge and celebrate our students’ achievements, while also teaching perseverance and resilience. At BSE, children learn to work hard and to love learning.
Welcome to Buckland-Shelburne Elementary School
Greetings, BSE Community,
This has been a very busy first week back from winter break. We have received the green light to prepare for the district return to learn hybrid model.
Calendar for the Next Couple of Weeks is as Follows:
- Thursday, January 14 and Friday, January 15 - No School
We will use these two days for staff professional development, review of safety procedures, and to prepare classroom spaces for returning students. We have canceled all programs on these days.
- January 19: Grades K through 2 hybrid begins
- January 25: Grades 3 through 6 hybrid begins
What the Hybrid Days will Look Like: Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday
- 8:30 to 11:00 a.m.: All students learning remotely in their current morning settings (i.e. at home, in-person hubs, or in-person programs)
- 11:00 a.m.: Students who will continue remote learning in the afternoon will stay online with their teachers until 11:30 a.m.
- 11:00 a.m.: Remote instruction ends for those students who will be attending the in-person hybrid afternoon so they can eat lunch and get to school (via walking, bus or family arranged transport)
For students who are currently attending an in-person hub or program then will have lunch, an extended outside break, and get ready to join their peers
- 1:00 p.m.: In-person, in-classroom hybrid learning
- 3:00 p.m.: Dismissal
On Wednesdays, all students will remain at home for remote learning while the building is deep cleaned.
Mrs. Parker's current PK program will maintain current days and hours of operation.
This week, our BSE office began making personal calls to each family, who registered for the hybrid in-person learning. While we have a few follow-up calls to make, we have contacted families in grades K through 3 and are working on 4th grade today, January 8, 2021. We want to have all calls through 6th grade made by the close of the day Monday, January 11, 2021, so we are sound in the number of returning students.
Next Wednesday, January 13, 2021, I will be emailing hybrid families a return to the school handbook. The contents will outline important practices and procedures that we will all need to follow to make our in-person experience safe. For example, what will drop off and pick up look like? How do I ready my child for the afternoon? Attendance? We will also include any important contact information that you will need.
Still to Do on my Principal's List
- Remedy an additional PK in-person program for our current remote preschool families who would welcome some in-person experience
- Revisit our current supported hub programs to expand participation
Please reach out by email if you have any questions.